registering IF-boat in Sweden for foreigners

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Användarvisningsbild
kubal

registering IF-boat in Sweden for foreigners

Inlägg av kubal »

Dear colleagues,

does anybody of you know whether foreign citizens can register boats in Sweden? Which institution is responsible for it? What is the procedure and total cost?

I am thinking about registering my IF-boat in Sweden, since the registering procedure in our country (Czech Republic) is too complicated and expensive. Therefore many Czech sailers register their boats in another countries.

Thank you

David Kubal
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: registering IF-boat in Sweden for foreigners

Inlägg av maja »

As I understand, no registration is needed. As long as you are a citizen of an EU- country, you are free to have a boat in Sweden on the same conditions as the Swedes themselves.

If you want to have a Swedish sail identification number, the Swedish IF-boat Association will issue one for you if you will be a member. Please fill the application form on the website http://www.ifboat.com/index.php?q=bli-medlem. The annual fee is only SEK 200:- . Klick on the most southern part on the map for the area.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

Dear Marek,

let me explain it: there are two separate registers in our country: for inland waterways and for sea. Registering for inland waterways is simple, bur registering a sea yacht is complicated and expensive here. Since my boat is registered for inland waterways, she should not (officially) be used at sea. But I would like to arrange an insurance for her for the case I cause some damage to other boat by accident. Suppose the insurance company will require the boat to be registered properly.

If it is so simple to obtain the Swedish identification number as you write, I will surely become a member and ask the association. Isn't there really anything else I should do? What about some check of the boat by certified technician? Isn't it required? Is there some list of mandatory equipment which must be onboard? When having Swedish identification number, should, I use Swedish flag? After having the identification number, can I obtain MMSI number for radio? Which institution is responsible for it in Sweden?

You might answer to my e-mail dkubal@seznam.cz, not to fill this forum by things which might be obvious for everybody else :-).

Thank you

David
gkupatadze

Inlägg av gkupatadze »

Hello IF community. I have similar question. If buying IF (or if that metters any other similar size/age) sailboat in Sweden as non-EU citizen, can I still apply for flag certificate to local association? And what are requirements? Registering old boat in my country (Georgia) is trycky and offshore registration seems to cost like the boat itself, if not more, so if there is any chance to avoid this expence, would be great.

Thank you!
George
Nils D

Inlägg av Nils D »

The only way to register a pleasure boat in Sweden that I am familiar with is if you are a member of the Swedish Crusing Association (abbreviated and often called SXK (www.sxk.se)

For a small additional fee you can also register your boat there. Perhaps this can meet the needs described in this thread.

There is also a possible alternative. According to their english web (https://www.sxk.se/english) they also issue what is called international certificates for pleasure boats I have no knowledge of if this meets the requirements posted on this thread, but could perhaps be worth trying. You can also apply for membership at the english web.

The association has a number of local chapters, but also one called Medelhavsseglarna (The Mediterranean Sailors), which describes itself on their web (https://www.medelhav.se/) as The Association for those who sail in the Mediterranean "and beyond" Unfortunately they only have a web in Swedish. But it seems clear that it is not only for Swedish sailors or only for people sailing in Sweden.

A final comment. It seems like the web pages above do not work well with Internet Explorer. But Chrome worked fine for me.
Nils D Tidigare ägare av SWE-3008
gkupatadze

Inlägg av gkupatadze »

Thank you very much, will try to contact them!
Skriv svar