Pintles and Jib tracks

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

euanb

Pintles and Jib tracks

Inlägg av euanb »

Hopefully get my hands on the new boat this weekend! Yay!

Two questions.

(1) Anyone know what material the pintles and gudgeons are made out of? Seems to be a bit of play in the rudder, but I don't really have the option of getting the boat out until she's delivered home. What diameter are they? If there is just a little play will it be okay?

(2) Had a look at some pics on the site and it seems that some folks have short inner tracks. Are these just for the jib? My boat lacks them anyway, is there an official class measurement of where they must be placed and how long they must be?

Cheers
musdavis

Inlägg av musdavis »

Hi Euan,

Have at look at the class rule on this site (go to The Boat / class rule). It says it's swedish only, but there is actually an English version too. The diagrams are also very useful.

I don't think there is a rule about positioning of genoa tracks. We have an extra track which we use for the No. 2 jib.

For UK Marieholm's there is an override rule that allows new boats to the fleet to qualify as class legal as long as no alterations are made to the boat after it first arrives. I think any alterations subsequent to the boat's arrival must be in line with the international class rules. Len Careless will probably be able to clarify this.

Regards

Matt
Mathilde
GBR 7854
euanb

Inlägg av euanb »

musdavis skrev:Hi Euan,

For UK Marieholm's there is an override rule that allows new boats to the fleet to qualify as class legal as long as no alterations are made to the boat after it first arrives.
Ah, so nows the time to say that she already has a 12ft carbon bowsprit, masthead assymetric, and water ballast fitted? :wink:

Thanks for that Matt.... I need to get over to St Mawes and have a look at some boats. Who has the best sorted boat in the fleet?
musdavis

Inlägg av musdavis »

Doh, shouldn't have told you that yet! The purpose of the rule is to encourage participation without the need for immediate expensive alterations.

Haven't actually had much of a look at any of the other boats. If you take a look at the race results though you'll see that 'Tringa' tends to clean up. Len's 'Pele' (inboard engine) might be more comparable to your boat. They normally race two up so everything must be pretty well sorted.
Mathilde
GBR 7854
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Pintles and Jib tracks

Inlägg av maja »

euanb skrev: (1) Anyone know what material the pintles and gudgeons are made out of? Seems to be a bit of play in the rudder, but I don't really have the option of getting the boat out until she's delivered home. What diameter are they? If there is just a little play will it be okay?
The play has no really meaning for safety, more that it is irritating.

IF-boats maufactured later than 1973 have rudder with rows transversally engraved to fit O-rings preventing play.

The pintles are made from brass. The pintles may be pressed out from the fitting by a hydraulic press and replacement may be manufactured from a brass rod of suitable diameter.
euanb skrev: (2) Had a look at some pics on the site and it seems that some folks have short inner tracks. Are these just for the jib? My boat lacks them anyway, is there an official class measurement of where they must be placed and how long they must be?
Depending on the position, short inner tracks may be used either for the working jib or for the genua.

Tracks for the jib are to be placed about an inch from to the cabin side and the nuts and washers of the fitting screws being inside the hanging locker (i.e. track longitudinal position about outside the forward window).

Tracks for the genua are to be placed not more than 10 centimetres inside the toe rail. It is suitable to use a 40 centimeter long track starting about 65 centimetres aft of the upper shroud.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
euanb

Inlägg av euanb »

Brilliant.

Thank you very much for that.

Wonder why my boat lacks the inner tracks? Was it a later addition to help the boat point upwind better?
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

euanb skrev: Wonder why my boat lacks the inner tracks? Was it a later addition to help the boat point upwind better?
Inner genoa tracks are retrofit made by the owner. As you mentioned this is intended for making the boat to point higher, especially in light to moderate wind and waves.

Jib tracks (always inner) was, sometimes but not always, yard´s supply, When being yard´s supply, they were (unforunately) placed somewhat too far aft.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

I have put on a new jib track because the original one is to far aft.

In the pictures below I think you can find out the positions of both the tracks.

Bild
Bild
Bild
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
euanb

Inlägg av euanb »

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/euanbeatt ... 8001751106

Wonder if this works.... here we go!
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Made some minor editing to your post to make your nice pictures visible.. :D..

The last of the posts is obviously superflous, so it is deleted.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
euanb

Inlägg av euanb »

Thanks for that - I was trying to embed the picture!

I switched HTML on, but it still says off in the options on this page....
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

The images are stored in and fetched from some kind of Intrnet album. Therefore they cannot be displayed directly
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar