Happy New Owner of IF 2595

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

kjacobsen

Happy New Owner of IF 2595

Inlägg av kjacobsen »

I have been looking for an IF for some time, and yesterday bought one at the EBay auction. I sold my other boat, a 1961 Alberg 35' sloop because I wanted a smaller boat, and the folkboat has always been close to my heart.

Next month I will be shipping the boat to my home in Charleston, South Carolina, and launching her as soon as possible. I expect I will have many questions in the coming weeks. The first one is: The boat is a 1976 model and has an outboard in a well. I have also seen other IF boats with an outboard on a mounting on the transom. Which location is considered the best? Well, or transom?

Thank you.

K.C. Jacobsen
Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Janne på Ifigenia

Inlägg av Janne på Ifigenia »

Most, if not all, Swedish owners prefer the transom solution. Admitting that the boat will be less well-looking, the advantages is f ex possibility to hauling the outboard out of the water when sailing and a better running engine - they seem to have problem to get enough oxygen in the well. I have also read about problems with water coming in. But I guess You will soon find out for Yourself - if the former owner used the well perhaps it will do also for You.

Congratulations to a nice boat and good luck!

Jan
Tay Bosley

Great fun-New Boat

Inlägg av Tay Bosley »

Hello,
I have IF-946 (1971) Spirit of Adventure with a 6 hp, 4 stroke in the well. I think the transom mount is preferable, but I have a wind vane self-steering on the transom and can't fit an outboard. The well works, but also has some problems. Email me if you are interested in more details. Tay Bosley
Spirit of Adventure IF-946
Berthed in Raritan Bay, New Jersey
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Re: Happy New Owner of IF 2595

Inlägg av kubal »

Hello to USA,

although the probability of such an event is quite low, it happened: I am a new owner of IF boat with the serial number 2594 -just the piece made before your 2595! She was sailing at lake in Switzerland near Zurich in the past. Now she is at lake in Southern Bohemia (Czech Republic). I will repair her during the winter and make some modifications to be able to sail at Baltic sea the next summer. So she will return to Sweden after 34 years! It will be nice to share knowledge and experience here.

David Kubal
Czech Republic
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

IF 2594 (Mfg No 2585) was originally sold to Ullabella Pettersson in Högsjö, a small village situated south and not far from lake Hjälmaren in the middle-south of Sweden. So probably this boat was originally sailed on a lake.

Foreign IF-boat owners are welcome to be members of the Swedish IF-boat Association. We specially invite such IF-boat sailors who does not have an own nationalo organisation.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
iamsville

Inlägg av iamsville »

Hi ,
We've HAD OUR IF for about nine months and Keep It On a lake in Roanoke , VA . We Have a 6hp outboard That we keep in the motor locker. We sometime lose speed on a starboard tack and occasionally pick up water sometime in the locker . This drains though. Port tacks are fine .

Maintenance isn't easy and hard to replace the zinc. However , the engine lifts out easily so no real problems .

I like the look of the clean Transom On The IFmore Than I'm Concerned about the loss of speed . Also good for security of the engine . The IF is a joy to sail .

Eric
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

When using the motor in the well inside the aft locker instead of mounting it to a motor fitting on the transom, it is, when not used, intended to lift the motor up from the well and store it in the locker, lying on side. There also exist a special lid to cover the hole in the well to prevent water to flush up, which may happen on starboad tack.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
iamsville

Inlägg av iamsville »

Thanks Maja, I may try removing my engine and storing it in the locker when under sail. I currently have a 6 hp with the starter cord through the cockpit wall. I have a 4 hp also and wouldn't have to do this to start the engine. It has its own gas tank on the top as well making it all self contained and easy to move.
Skriv svar