Sail Inventory?

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

easyease

Sail Inventory?

Inlägg av easyease »

Hey there,

I just recently purchased a 26' International Folkboat, and am relatively new to sailing. The boat came with a few beat up looking full size jibs. I'm wondering what reasonable assortment of sails most people have for their boats as I'm interested in getting at least a few new sails. I sail on the SF bay, and although I'd be interested in doing a little racing potentially, am primarily interested in coastal cruising when I have the experience for it. Aside from the assortment of sails I should be considering for this area, does anyone have recommendations regarding whether I should be thinking of attempting to purchase new or used sails, and if new which sail lofts in the area I should look into?

Thanks for your help!
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Sail Inventory?

Inlägg av maja »

One sail of each of those you can find in the class rules will do. Note that the positive leech of the working jib will only be possible to design with longer battens (500-600 mm) than stated.

The existing working jib has LP about 102 % of the fortriangle base (FB). But there is is a pending class rule change that will allow a larger jib having LP 110 % of the FB. The dimension of this sail is maximum what will fit to sheet inside the shrouds.

See
Class Rule drawings: http://www.ifboat.com/teknik/IFREGRIT.HTM
and
the dimensions for teh new jib: http://www.ifboat.com/assets/files/klas ... ntarer.pdf
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

easyease skrev:Aside from the assortment of sails I should be considering for this area, does anyone have recommendations regarding whether I should be thinking of attempting to purchase new or used sails, and if new which sail lofts in the area I should look into?
With the present situation witn the favourable rate of the USD to the Swedish Currency it will maybe be favourable to buy new sails in Sweden.... And here the sailmakers know the boat better...
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
blighbaum

Inlägg av blighbaum »

Congratulations on having bought the best boat for sailing in SF Bay with relatively little experience! You'll still love the boat after you have a lot of experience! You will clearly want the 102% working jib for sailing in SF. You will also want a decent genoa. If you start racing, you will want a chute. Those should be enough headsails. I think it would be tough to get good used IF sails in SF, because there are few if any hotshot IF racers who sell off their used but still good sails every season or two. I have heard about IF sailors buying used Etchells sails; the Etchells jib is virtually the same size as the IF working jib and the Etchells main can be recut to fit the IF. Rather than do that, however, I recommend that you contact Pinapple Sails in Alameda about new IF sails. They know the IF. Be sure your main has two sets of reef points; you will rarely use the second reef, but you will often use the first.

Two people you should meet, if you don't already know them, are Adam Correa (IF 377, Storm Petrel) and Howard DeNett. Adam is trying to revive the SF IF association; he and his boat are on the cover of the January '09 issue of Latitude 38. Howard is the Godfather of IFs in the Bay Area He has bought, reconditioned, and resold an number of IFs and is a good source of information on where to find used IF gear.

Good luck, and Good Sailing! - Tom Kirschbaum, IR 637 Feral (formerly of Alameda, now of LA)
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

blighbaum skrev:Adam is trying to revive the SF IF association; he and his boat are on the cover of the January '09 issue of Latitude 38.
The cover picture is here:
Bilagor
JanCover.gif
JanCover.gif (166.98 KiB) Visad 11275 gånger
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
easyease

Inlägg av easyease »

Thanks for all the wonderful advice! I've been in contact with Adam and he has been a great source of information as well.

Tom, is there anywhere on the net were I can read about your transpac experience?
blighbaum

Inlägg av blighbaum »

You can look at www.sfbaysss.org, click on singlehanded transpac, and then on competitor's logs. My wife posted my reports after my satphone conversations with her, but the website has the reports of the other competitors as well, which are informative and sometimes amusing. Regards, Tom K. IF 637 Feral
Skriv svar