Could Topping lift run inside Selden mast?

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Regatta
Kontakt:

Could Topping lift run inside Selden mast?

Inlägg av Regatta »

Hello,
I have a question about my topping lift.... how you can see on the photo it run ouside the must in the block used from previous owner for the lazyjack.
when i bought the boat she was dismast and have not idea about where the topping lift run.
I saw in the mast foot 4 whell, i already use 2 for spinaker and i have 2 free.. is one for the topping lift?
Here the photo of my mast head.. no more whell avaible for the topping lift... any idea?
Thanks a lot for help!!
cheers
Bilagor
foto.jpg
foto.jpg (66.32 KiB) Visad 7897 gånger
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Re: Could Topping lift run inside Selden mast?

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

I am afraid there is no good solution to run the topping lift inside the mast. Most IF-boats use the four wheels at the mast foot for the main, genoa and spinnaker halyards and for the spinnaker pole lift, unless the mast has been rebuilt. Where do you run the main and genoa halyard?

I can't figure out any way you could let the topping lift enter the mast inside at the top. Larger boats usually have more wheels at the mast top assembly. In such a case there is one sheave block for the topping lift and one for the mainsail halyard. But at the rather narrow top assembly on the IF there is simply no place for another sheave block.

I use no topping lift at all. I have got used to grab the boom when lowering the mainsail and just put it at the cockpit side. And yes, I always lower the sprayhood before leaving or entering the harbour, just to make room for the boom.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Regatta
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Regatta »

Thanks for the reply,
Both main and genoa halyard run inside mast and come out at the foot mast from beam side.
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Ask your Selden dealer how to arrange with the topping lift.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar