Jib Furlers

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Terry

Jib Furlers

Inlägg av Terry »

Has anybody had experience with fitting a jib fuler to an IF26 which they would they would like to share? Are there any positive/negative comments about the main brands, such as Profurl, Furlex or Facnor.
I only use my boat for cruising, and sail on and around Sydney Harbour, Australia. Terry (new member)
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

There are (at least) 2 different approaches to this problem:

1) A furler with the drum mounted under deck and intended for a normal forsail with forstay hanks. This furler cannot be used for sailing with the forsail partly furled as it will damage the sail. This is allowed by the racing class rules and it is mainly intended to have the forsail furled when using the spinnaker or arriving/staying in harbour.

2) A standard furler type Furlex or similar, with the drum mounted over deck and with a forstay profile. This needs special designed forsails. Anyhow, a forstay profile is NOT allowed to use when racing.

If you will chose the solution 1) you may buy equipment from Bartels http://www.bartelsgmbh.de/en/frameenglisch.html or from KA Yacht Design http://www.classic-yacht.dk/

If you will choose the solution 2) you may buy Furlex or similar equipment from any well equipped rig manufacturer. I beleive any brand will do as long as the equipment is suitable for a 15 square meter or greater forsail.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
yogiysh

Jib Furlers

Inlägg av yogiysh »

Hi Terry,

I've been away from this forum for over 12 months - restoring my Folkboat.

I have a roller furler installed by the previous owner and have grown to like it.

I too sail around Sydney Harbour and out to Pittwater and Botany Bay - I'd like to sail it down to Jervis Bay or Port Stephens and beyond one day.

I know it is not in complience with class rules but I only cruise as the IF Class racing here is practically non existent even with the reported 65 boats still active in our waters.

Back to having the roller furler - it is great when using the genoa but as the wind picks up I loath it. I nearly reverted back to the wire stay but my partner who sails with me and single handed at times, she prefers the ease of handling.

We have been caught out in a blow and discovered that the roller furler should not be used to reef the head sail. Even though I new not to use this from all the reading of other peoples first hand accounts, I needed to try and understand why - the reefed headsail simply becomes a very full small headsail which is useless in a blow.

Having decided that we were only going to cruise the boat I reached a compromise which also improves the boats sailing ability and safety over by just having a roller furler. I am in the process of installing a Solent Stay (apologies to all the IF purists out there reading this). This system is commonly used on similar boats in the UK like the Contessa 26 etc.

A Solent Stay is simply a removable wire stay that is attached to a pad eye fitting on the foredeck via a highfield lever (to tension the stay).
Once needed this is attached, a standard working jib/blade is used with great eficiency in high winds and perfect for setting a storm jib as the centre of effort of the sail is moved towards the centre of the boat. Note that this system is not used for a cutter config of sail as the pad eye is positioned only about 50 - 70 cm behind the original stay.

When the genoa is needed to be used the wire stay is removed from the pad eye and stored to a fitting a the bsae of the mast out of the way.

The only drawback is that the furled genoa causes some interference/drag to the jib while beating but hey, were not racing !

Overall a big win in the medium - heavy weather handling arena (ie when the genoa can no longer be used).

This solution gives the us and a wider scope of conditions that we can manage safety and with confidence from very light winds to 40+ and survival in our southerly blows.

Oh yes, and I also will be using a Jib downhaul with this (for dousing the sail) with all lines led aft into the cockpit, again for ease of use and safety.

With coastal/offshore cruising in mind, I'm also updating the boat with all the safety requirements like installing jacklines, 2 manual high flow bilge pumps (1 accessible from the inside and 1 from the cockpit) etc....

Cheers,

Ysmael
Claro

Solent Stays

Inlägg av Claro »

G'day Ysmael,

Just wondering if you could give some feedback on how the Solent Stay fitting is going? Have you tried it yet? What size backing plate did you use and did you check with a rigger if the foredeck would tolerate the loads in a blow?

I'm new to Forum. I just recently bought a fantastic M26 from Brooklyn (Sydney) and sailed it down to my home port on the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria via Jervis Bay and Eden (approx 400 miles). I've been thinking about fitting a Solent Stay also as we are intending on lots off offshore cruising. I'd love to hear any thoughts and advice about Solent Stays.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions about my new boat soon too. This forum seems great! :D

Cheers

Matt
yogiysh

Inlägg av yogiysh »

G'day Matt,

Congratulations on acquiring a fantastic boat !

Great to hear from you and about your adventure sailing south! Good to hear from someone with the same outlook on sailing these boats.

Unfortunately, I have not begun to install the solen stay yet it is quite a big job to do it the correct way. Just too busy at work at the moment....

As for your question of supporting the deck and backing plate, well just a backing plate no matter how large will not be sufficient.

The deck and backing plate must be supported from below to stop the deck from lifting. This can be done in a number of ways (eg - connecting rods down to the keelson) but my plan is to build in a bulkhead in the forepeak to support the deck as well as reinforce that area of the hull.

Another big advantage of the solent stay is that if you need to fly a storm jib the centre of effort of the sail is closer to the mast promoting a better balanced boat in a blow.

There are alot of listings on the net if you google 'solent stay' and troll through results. Check this one out -

http://www.pearson424.org/exterior/rigg ... rstay.html

I also recommend the seasure inner forestay lever because you can remove the lever when not in use. It makes stowing the wire stay easier since it's shorter in lenght minus the lever - stops someone taking it too (they're not xx, but with the aussie dollar pretty strong they've just become reasonably priced if you order from over seas).

I'm not familiar with the structural aspects of the M26 (except for having the same shaped hull as the IFBoat with more freeboard) so it's best to consult a rigger and shipwright to get the job done properly - you don't want your forward deck to lift off in a blow...

Cheers,

Ysmael
Claro

Inlägg av Claro »

G'day Ysmael,

I thought about what you said about fitting another bulkhead and went down to my boat for a look. The issue for me is that we sleep in the V-Berth at anchor and I am 6ft4 so my feet go all the way to the bow and another bulkhead would get in the way. I saw an idea in a book where a small stay was run from the inner hull to the solent stay backing plate on the inner-side of the foredeck. This effectively joined the solent stay directly to the hull (with a backing plate divinding the stay into 2 sections). I think I could possibly form a 'mini' bulkhead beneath the V-Berth and then attach this short stay (with a tension device) when I plan to use the solent stay.

Does that make any sense?

Also, do you have an anchor locker on your foredeck. My anchor locker is directly aft of the headstay and is approx 600mm long. This means my Solent stay would be at least 600mm aft of headstay. How far back form headstay do you plan to have yours?

I'm definately not a fan of roller reefing the genoa in heavy winds, so a solent stay will be a great addition when cruising.

Cheers

Matt
Skriv svar