Turning angle

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Captain_frog

Turning angle

Inlägg av Captain_frog »

Hey!

I have read in a Magazin that IF boot has a turning angle of 92°. Wenn I try wiht my IF, my turning angle is far more thant that (110° to 120°).

I sail normaly with a genoa on furling. Could it be that 92° can only be reached with a Jib?
What are your experiences, and what points should I check first to try to improve the turning angle

Any suggestion will be welcome.

Captain Fog
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Turning angle

Inlägg av maja »

Do you mean the tack (beat) angle?
If so, this depends on the wether conditions, the sails, the underwater body smoothness and the skills of the helmsman and sail trimmer. Normal is 80 to 100 degrees.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Captain_frog

Inlägg av Captain_frog »

maja skrev: 09 jun 2019 07:25 Do you mean the tack (beat) angle?
If so, this depends on the wether conditions, the sails, the underwater body smoothness and the skills of the helmsman and sail trimmer. Normal is 80 to 100 degrees.
Hello Maja!
Yes tack angle is the word I was looking for. Considering that the hull is clean, that I took the motor out of the well, that the sails are 2 seasons old, and that I sail on a lake in Berlin (no waves), I guess that my sailing skill will be the next point to look after.

Nevertheless I had the feeling that the tack angle was better last season, so I thought maybe that a bad rigging of the mast and the fact that I use a Genoa on furling instead of a fock could be an answer to my problem.
Nils D

Inlägg av Nils D »

Captain_frog skrev: 09 jun 2019 12:30 (…)
Nevertheless I had the feeling that the tack angle was better last season, so I thought maybe that a bad rigging of the mast and the fact that I use a Genoa on furling instead of a fock could be an answer to my problem.
If you have changed from sailing with a jib (fock) to a genoa, that probably is the reason for the change of tack angle. I too have a better tack angle when using the jib instead of the genoa. I use the inner sheet tack with the jib which makes it possible to steer closer to the wind. In fact, I noticed this when I reduced my furling genoa to jib size and at the same time changed to the inner sheet tack a year or two ago. So today I only use the genoa in light air and sailing off the wind. I might loose a little bit of speed on some occasions, but since I do not race that is of no great importance.
Nils D Tidigare ägare av SWE-3008
Skriv svar