Outboards

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

david.lines

Outboards

Inlägg av david.lines »

I've not sailed an IF Boat before so this will be 1st season with Elpenor. The previous owner used an outboard on a bracket but I would prefer to use the lazerette. However size seems to restrict me to about 6hp - is this a big enough engine - I will be sailing in tidal waters.
David Lines
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

A 6 hp motor with a well tuned propeller will give you about 6 knots through water if there is no wind ahead. A more powerful engine will also give you 6 knots, as this is the maximum displacement speed for the IF-boat.

However, the stonger motor will also give you max speed if there is some wind. So for example, an 8 hp motor will give you about 6 knots, even if the wind is about 6-7 knots ahead.

If the tide current is near 6 knots or more, it will not be possible to override the current and make speed over ground, even with the strongest motor.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
david.lines

outboard

Inlägg av david.lines »

Thanks for that, very helpful
David Lines
Claro

Inlägg av Claro »

Hi David,

I have a 6Hp Hi-Thrust Yamaha 4s/t outboard. Its a little heavy for my liking at 50kg but it will run my M26 into head wind and small sea's at 5-6 knots without working too hard.

On flat water, it will quietly move the boat at 6 knots on 1/4 throttle and use less than 1 litre of fuel / hour. Not bad!

Aparently the 'Hi-Thrust' 4 s/t outboards make a significant difference for heavier boats at slow speeds, such as displacement sailing boats.

Cheers

Matt
david.lines

Outboards

Inlägg av david.lines »

Matt - thanks. looks like i will go for a Mariner with remote shift as this fits in the locker.
David Lines
Skriv svar